For this tutorial, you’ll need
- a verified AdSense account. You can create one here.
- the free Advanced Ads plugin installed; see How to install Advanced Ads.
Create a new ad unit in Google AdSense
- Visit your AdSense account. You can probably find it following this link.
- Navigate to Ads > Ad units.
- Click on one of the ad type buttons and choose between Display Ads, In-feed ads, In-article-ads, or Multiplex ads.
We will look at the most common ad types here and ignore the Search engine ads.
Tips for naming your ad unit
I see different naming styles for ad units every day. While the exact format may vary, I find it most helpful to have at least the following information in the name:
- the website, if you have more than one
- position on your site
- format (e.g., “Medium Rectangle”) or size (e.g., “300×250”)
- device (e.g., “mobile” or “desktop”)
A good name allows you to find an ad again quickly. An example could be
Sidebar top | Large rectangle | desktop
You can differ from this pattern, but I highly recommend using the same structure in all names.